Day two of my mini-blogging marathon, all month long, baby.
I have an hour before I have to leave to go teach yoga. Just enough time for a Top 10 list, kind of in order, and all true.
1. My day (sort of) started at 4:45 in the morning, when I woke up, went to the kitchen for a handful of Cheerios and briefly considered staying up to write, which I didn’t.
2. I worked all morning at the yoga studio, where I had my friend take photos of me in my new favorite pose, “super soldier.” They didn’t turn out so great. (This is not me.)
3. I bought a scratch-off and won $10 dollars.
4. I wrote a bit on my new one for elephant, about the peaceful revolution the hippies and the thinkers, the philosophisers and the freedom lovers have been promising us since the 60’s. I’m a little over my head on this one, but I’m letting it unfold the only way I know how. All I do know is it ain’t gonna write itself.
5. I looked in a book of Allen Ginsberg poetry to find something inspirational. I bought it years ago from a second hand book store. (Jessica Devereax, if you’re reading this, I have a book that was once yours.) I love this:
At 66 just learning how to take care of my body
Wake cheerful at 8am & write in a notebook
rising from bed side naked leaving a naked boy asleep by the wall
mix miso mushroom leeks & winter squash breakfast,
Check bloodsugar, clean teeth exactly, brush, toothpick, floss, mouthwash
Oil my feet, put on white shirt white pants white sox
sit solitary by the sink
a moment before washing my hair, happy not yet
to be a corpse.
September 13th, 1992, 9:50am.
6. I made reservations to go away with my husband for his birthday. I can’t wait—I never get out of town. I’ve never even owned a passport. There’s that, and my huge fear of flying.
7. My husband just came home from work.
Him: What’s on TV?
Him: What else?
Him: Any car shows?
I didn’t realize it, but he had already put on a car show. Sighhh…
8. I made a playlist for my class. I named it Thursday, even though it’s Wednesday, but I thought it was Thursday.
9. I drove to go teach with the convertable top down and the heat on. I taught “super soldier,” got dinner from the Mexican food truck outside the studio and put the top back on my car for the ride home.
10. Home now. That’s all.
One reason I stay up so late writing is because I hear stuff outside in the yard, stuff that sounds like one, maybe two killers are out there, patiently waiting for me to fall asleep so they can come in through the doggie door and hack me into a bloody mess. It’s either write, or resume all the googling for “get rich quick” ideas.
I know it’s just squirrels out there. And people setting off fireworks, two days early.
I know at the rate I’m going, I’ll never see Europe. I know I need to toughen up, give myself a slap in the face and get over it already.
I know I could’ve gone out to the living room to watch “Jaws” on the other TV. But I’d rather be nearer to my husband than farther.
It’s almost midnight. Have a good night, y’all, unless you plan on being up all night like me, listening to all the critters out there. ❤ ❤ ❤